Burnley v Manchester United Match Report

Manchester United had to settle for a point as they drew 1-1 against a tenacious Burnley side on Tuesday night.


The Reds found the net on three occasions in the first half at Turf Moor, but only Paul Pogba’s 18th minute strike counted when the Frenchman netted in his first league appearance since October 2021.

Jay Rodriguez’s close-range leveller came early in the second half and proved to be the last decisive action of the match – leaving the two sides to share the spoils.

First Half – Pogba Converts


The Reds kicked off in wet and blustery conditions in Lancashire and it was a first half full of incidents. Marcus Rashford had the first meaningful attempt of the match when he forced Burnley goalkeeper Nick Pope into a smart save at his near post.

After 11 minutes Raphael Varane had the ball in the net for what would have been his first United goal, but after a lengthy VAR review it was ruled out. The Frenchman connected brilliantly with Bruno Fernandes’ free-kick but Harry Maguire was adjudged to be interfering with play whilst being in an offside position. 

Not being too discouraged by the disallowed goal, United continued to push for an early opener and when Paul Pogba rifled in Luke Shaw’s cutback, there was no doubt that the goal would stand. The Frenchman’s goal put him on the scoresheet at Turf Moor for the second season in succession.

The ball was in the Burnley net once more when Josh Brownhill turned Rashford’s cross into his own goal, but it was also ruled out following a very late flag by the linesman, who gave a foul against Pogba in the build up.


As the Reds continued to dominate, they created a hatful of chances as Edinson Cavani, Fernandes and Rashford called Pope into action on numerous occasions. The best chance of the lot fell to Cavani when Shaw’s looped cross found the Uruguayan at the back post but the Burnley goalkeeper made a fine stop to deny him.

Second Half – United Struggle

It took all of two minutes of the second half for the hosts to find an equaliser when new signing Wout Weghorst turned Harry Maguire inside out and laid the ball off superbly to Jay Rodriguez who was on hand to finish calmly into the bottom corner.

Weghorst was proving a handful for the United defenders when his long-range volley forced a very smart stop from David De Gea. 

The goal had given the hosts confidence which they were lacking in the first half and were enjoying strong spells of the match. Around the hour mark, it was Weghorst again finding himself free but his effort was wide of the mark.

A dangerous Rashford run may have produced United’s second but Varane’s flicked effort was denied by Pope again. Second half substitute Cristiano Ronaldo also saw his header loop over the bar minutes later.

Sean Dyche’s side began to drop deeper and deeper as the Reds piled on the pressure but none of the attacks amounted to anything and United were forced to take a frustrating 1-1 draw.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like